Pope Francis: The Lord’s Passion And Via Crucis TENTH STATION STRIPPED OF HIS PONTIFICATE I STAND IN SILENCE.I FEEL HUMILIATED BY SO APPARENTLY BANAL AN ACT


TENTH STATION
Jesus is stripped of his garments
The robe

Adoramus…

From the Book of Psalms

“They divide my clothes among themselves, and for my clothing they cast lots”.[52]

JESUS’ THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS

I stand in silence. I feel humiliated by so apparently banal an act. I was already stripped hours ago. I think of my Mother, who is here. My humiliation is also hers. Once more her heart is pierced. To her I owe the robe which was torn from me, which is a sign of her love for me.[53]

OUR RESONANCE

Lord, your robe makes us think of a moment of grace and so many violations of our human dignity.

The grace is that of Baptism. A newly-christened child is told: “You have become a new creation, and have clothed yourself with Christ. See in this white garment a sign of your Christian dignity. With your family and friends to help you by word and example, bring that dignity unstained into the everlasting life of heaven.[54] Here is the deepest truth about human life.

Yet the love which which you protect each creature also makes us think of appalling realities: human trafficking, child-soldiers, slave labour, children and adolescents robbed of their souls, wounded in their deepest being, barbarously violated.

You urge us in humility to beg forgiveness of all who have suffered these atrocities, and to pray that the conscience of those who darkened their lives will at last be stirred. In your presence, Jesus, we renew our resolve to “overcome evil with good”.[55]

PRAYER

The two ways

“Blessed indeed is the man who follows not the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the path with sinners, nor abides in the company of scorners, but whose delight is the law of the Lord, and who ponders his law day and night. He is like a tree that is planted beside the flowing waters, that yields its fruit in due season, and whose leaves shall never fade; and all that he does shall prosper”.[56]

All: Pater noster… Stabat Mater

[52] Ps 22:18.
[53] Cf. Mt 27:35.
[54] Rite of Baptism for Children, Clothing with White Garment; cf. Gal 3:27.
[55] Cf. Rom 12:21.
[56] Ps 1:1-3.

Comments