Pope Francis: The Lord’s Passion And Via Crucis FOURTH STATION: TO THE SYNOD OF BISHOPS ON THE FAMILY DO WHAT EVER POPE FRANCIS TELLS YOU!!!!


FOURTH STATION
Jesus meets his Mother
A sword will pierce your soul

Adoramus…

From the Gospel according to Luke

“Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother, ‘This child is destined for the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be opposed, so that the inner thoughts of many will be revealed – and a sword will pierce your own soul too’ … His mother treasured all these things in her heart”.[19]

JESUS’ THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS

My Mother is part of the crowd. My heart is racing. I can only catch a glimpse of her. Blood is streaming down my face.

When I was just forty days old, I was brought to the Temple to be presented according to the Law of Moses. A prophet spoke to my father and mother. His name was Simeon. He took me in his arms. He said that I would be a “sign of contradiction”, and he told my mother that “a sword will pierce your soul”. Those words have now become a searing reality, for her and for me. Today my presentation is complete.[20]

MARY’S RESONANCE

“O my God-sprung Son, you are dragged by the hands of this evil generation and you bear it; you came to be thrown into chains and willingly let yourself be led by them, you who are the liberator of the enchained human race from its chains! … How devastated I am! Speak, say a word to me, O Word of God the Father, do not pass by in silence before your handmaid, who became your mother”.[21]

Jesus, the drama played out between you and your mother in a street of Jerusalem makes us think of so many dramatic family situations in our world. No one is spared: mothers, fathers, children, grandparents. It is easy to judge, but it is more important to put ourselves in the place of others and to help them as best we can. This we will try to do.

LET US PRAY

“Do whatever he tells you”

Holy Mary, mother of Jesus and spouse of Joseph, we ask you to accompany the Synod of Bishops on the family. Intercede for the Pope, the Bishops and all those directly engaged in its labours. May they be docile to the Holy Spirit and carry out their discernment with wisdom. May they keep in mind the words of the Psalm: “Mercy and truth will meet”.[22] At the wedding feast of Cana, you said to the servants: “Do whatever he tells you”.[23] Sustain all Christian spouses and parents, called to bear witness to the beauty of a family inspired and guided by the words of Jesus.

All: Pater noster… Stabat Mater

[19] Lk 2:34, 35, 51.
[20] Cf. Lk 2:22-24, 28, 33-35.
[21] GREGORY OF NAZIANZUS, The Passion of Christ, 445-460.

Comments