Pope Francis: The Lord’s Passion And Via Crucis SEVENTH STATION BOUNDLESS TOO ARE THE SUFFERINGS OF MERCIFUL POPE FRANCIS WHO HEARS ONLY LYING AND HATEFUL WORDS; WHO ENCOUNTERS HEARTS OF STONE FROM THOSE THAT OPPOSE HIS MERCIFUL DOCTRINE ON MARRIAGE


SEVENTH STATION
Jesus falls the second time
“Do not be far from me”[33]

Adoramus…

From the Gospel according to Matthew

“Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane… and prayed. He took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be grieved and agitated. Then he said to them: ‘I am deeply grieved, even to death; remain here and stay awake with me’. He prayed: ‘My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet not what I want but what you want’”.[34]

From the Gospel according to Luke

“Then an angel from heaven appeared and gave him strength. In his anguish he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down on the ground”.[35]

JESUS’ THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS

It is not simply physical weariness. There is something deeper I have to endure. Last night I prayed long and hard to the Father, stretched out on the ground. My sweat was like drops of blood. My death was already upon me. Now I am sharing the ultimate, painful experience of every human being near death. Thank you, my Father, for sending an angel from heaven to comfort me at that moment!

OUR RESONANCE

Jesus, how much pain lies deep within those many souls racked by loneliness, abandonment, indifference, illness, or the loss of a dear one!

Boundless too are the sufferings of those trapped in painful situations, those who hear only lying and hateful words; those who encounter hearts of stone which cause tears and lead to despair.

The human heart – the heart of each one of us – awaits something completely different: the protection of love. You, Jesus, teach this to us and to all people of good will: “Love one another, as I have loved you”.[36]

LET US PRAY

My heart, protect and console!

Be open, my heart. Be as expansive as God’s own heart. Be open to bringing hope. Be open to caring. Be open to listening. Be open to pouring balm upon every wound. Be open to bringing light to those living in darkness. Protect and console, today, tomorrow and always.

All: Pater noster… Stabat Mater


[33] Ps 21:12a.
[34] Mt 26:36-39.
[35] Lk 22:43-44.
[36] Cf. Jn 13:34.

Comments